POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : In search of plateau-free noise : In search of plateau-free noise Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  In search of plateau-free noise
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Feb 2000 18:51:33
Message: <389e0905@news.povray.org>
In p.u.p,  we were discussing options for getting a plateau-free noise
function for pov.  I was experimenting with the pattern-based pigments
in isosurfaces and wonder if I found something in dents.

The "dents" pattern below almost looks plateau-free, although not
exaclty "smooth" as the ideal function I'm looking for would have.
"Bumps" has plateaus.  So how are dents and bumps different?

 [This same text and actual images in p.b.i].

//           switch to                         DENTS here
#declare yikes=function{pigment {bumps scale 30}}
#declare funk=
isosurface{
        function{
              y/100+yikes(x,y,z)/2}